2019 marked the 100th anniversary of the Hotel Victory fire. We will continue this exhibit into the 2021 season for the many people who were unable to view it last year due to Covid-19 restrictions.
The Hotel Victory was a destination hotel built and owned by the B&B Railroad. When constructed it had 600 rooms and the dining room could seat 2,000 people. Part of this exhibit is on display continuously. Artifacts include furniture, the Hotel Victory parlor piano, dinner silver service and the building's original blueprints.
This sprawling behemoth covered what is present day the South Bass Island State Park Campgrounds.
Fire Marshall's blamed faulty electrical wiring for the fire in August of 1919. There were no casualties. Island residents petitioned the state to protect the remains of the hotel's natatorium and the pedestal base of the Winged Victory statue that once looked over the island's southwestern shoreline.
The History and Mystery of Put-in-Bay's Hotel Victory
If you'd like to know more about the Hotel Victory, its history and the great fire, check out this article from 2015 from Midwest Guest.